[tei-council] Guidelines confusion over damage/unclear?

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 1 13:01:36 EDT 2008

I'd say the language could certainly be clarified. I think the reasoning
is that there might be more than one element within the area of damage.
Suppose, for example, there is a smoke damaged part within which two
stretches  can be read (more or less) and a third which can't: you'd
want to mark that

<damaged agent="smoke">
   <unclear>the proof of this is</unclear>
   <gap extent="4" units="words"/>
   <unclear>margin</unclear>
</damaged>

I'd sort of assume that the @agent information here was inherited in
this case, but we should probably formalise this (i.e. say so in the
prose, as you suggest)

other views?