[tei-council] hands=

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Wed Apr 9 12:50:34 EDT 2008

> Pragmatically, the quickest solution, I agree. It's a slight pain
> for implementors, if anyone ever writes a system which lets you say
> "show me all MSS with 3 or more hands", of course.

More than a slight pain if you are trying to extract MSS from across
multiple collections that use different TEI customizations -- makes
it almost impossible. But if what you are doing is trying to extract
MSS from your own collection (or any set of collections over which
you have control of the TEI customization used), you just need to
design an intelligent enumeration to make this work quite well.

And this is true for so many TEI features, I don't think adding one
more should bother us.