[tei-council] hands=

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 05:41:49 EDT 2008

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> we could treat it like dates, and add @maxHands and @minHands alongside
> @hands, all integer. so you have to commit yourself to saying "at least 3"
> or "no more than 8", or "exactly 2".
>
> or copy dates even more, and have a pointer to a taxonomy with
> @handRange (comparable to @period).

Isn't this the same problem that Gaby, PaulS and others were having with
@extent and similar attributes?  i.e. extent="1+" unit="words" for that
there is 'at least one word missing' but unknown otherwise.  If there was a
@minExtent @maxExtent (or if in the presence of @maxExtent, @extent was
treated like @minExtent) then that would solve their problem.

If we are doing the same kind of thing for other elements, maybe we should
just be having a class of @min and @max with relating to @unit on many
different elements.  So unit="hands" unit="minims" unit="folios".  I
realise the first of these is a very different type of unit, but we're
still counting something, no?

-james

--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford