[tei-council] TEI by example

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 29 08:03:32 EDT 2008

Both the examples Paul cites below were present in P3/P4. Both of them
are still present in P5. Where's the beef?

The Moseley example (still in P5) demonstrates that <signed> can be used
in the way Paul suggests, and is the canonical example for the element
spec itself, as it was in P3 and still is in P5.

The Clarissa example is one of several in section 7.2.2 (P4) or
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/DS.html#DSOC (P5)
demonstrating how to use <opener> and <closer> to combine div-liminal
elements which seem to belong together. The section notes that "it may
be convenient" to group such elements together. It does not require it,
any more than it requires a narrow distinction between the part of a
signature containing a name and the rest of the phrase around it.
This example is also just the same in P3
(http://www.tei-c.org.uk/Vault/GL/P3/DS.htm#DSOC)

I don't say that any of these examples is perfect. But I find no
evidence that either of them has changed in anyway since P3.