[tei-council] Galway agenda

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 15:14:34 EDT 2008

Syd Bauman wrote:
> One of the advantages we (appropriately) tout is that from an ODD you
> get not only a schema, but also custom documentation.
and, as you rightly say, its not very well done
at present. Seems like a good target for the
next release to clean up some of the things you list

although I don't really buy
> Having custom on-line documentation (not necessarily printed) is,
> IMHO, absolutely crucial to the acceptance of TEI in many circles.

because I have never seen anyone say this in public.
> Imagine how much easier it would be to introduce people to TEI if the
> reference documentation for TEI Lite were usable.
looking at
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-exemplars/html/teilite.doc.html,
I am somewhat at a loss to see why you think this is so bad? apart from
links
back to the main guidelines.

> P.S. Another item that should be on the agenda, although not as
>      important, is finding the resources to improve Roma so that it is
>      more usable for what customizers actually need to do (e.g.,
>      constrain type= values and document them), or to re-write Roma
>      from scratch, preferably as a desktop application.[1]

I really don't agree about rewriting it as a desktop app.
I don't recall anyone from userland ever asking for this.
I wonder what others think?

Of course I agree that the interface is not half, or a quarter,
as good as it could be, and I'd love to see someone take this on.
I suspect a very great deal could be done with judicious Javascript
on top of the existing stuff.