[tei-council] <locus> and @target

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Fri Feb 29 14:35:13 EST 2008

> I'd go so far as to say I agree with Syd here. @facs was introduced
> to the TEI long after this definition for @target was last revised.
> It's probably better to annoy the (probably small) number of people
> currently using @target to point to facsimile pages than it is to
> permanently confuse the (probably large) number of people wondering
> how come one attribute can do two different jobs.

Changing this is not the simple correction of a corrigible error,
since it changes the semantics of an attribute and could potentially
break some people's documents. Nonetheless, I think it is a very good
idea, and should be done sooner rather than later, before the number
of people using target= to point to page images grows.

Here is a suggestion for the relevant section of locus.xml, with the
non-English <desc> elements removed:
---------
      <attDef ident="target">
        <desc>supplies a link to one or more transcriptions of the
          specified range of folios.</desc>
        <datatype maxOccurs="unbounded">
          <rng:ref xmlns:rng="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0" name="data.pointer"/>
        </datatype>
        <exemplum>
          <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples">
            <msItem n="1">
              <locus facs="#f1r #f1v #f2r">ff. 1r-2r</locus>
              <author>Ben Jonson</author>
              <title>Ode to himself</title>
              <rubric>
              </rubric>
              <incipit>Com leaue the loathed stage</incipit>
              <explicit>And see his chariot triumph ore his wayne.</explicit>
            </msItem>
            <!-- ... -->
            <pb xml:id="f1r"/>
            <!-- ... -->
            <pb xml:id="f1v"/>
            <!-- ... -->
            <pb xml:id="f2r"/>
            <!-- ... -->
          </egXML>
        </exemplum>
        <remarks>
            that contains or indicates a transcription of the locus
            being described. One common use is to point to the
            <gi>pb</gi> element that begins each transcribed
            page, as shown above.</p>
        </remarks>
      </attDef>
---------