[tei-council] Draft of 2008-02-07 conference call minutes

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Feb 14 14:35:45 EST 2008

LR> And that's the reason why I advocated to see TEI-L as the main
LR> informal information exchange channel, while having an air
LR> traffic controller making sure that relevant items are moved to
LR> SF and discussed in the council (when applicable).

LB> Which is what I thought I was also saying!
LB> So maybe we are in agreement after all...

DO> Me too! Hooray, all will have prizes!

Sigh. Guess I don't get a prize, 'cause I was the one who thinks this
may be insufficient. I believe that not only do some people find
Sourceforge very daunting, but also that some people are very
hesitant to voice their thoughts in front of an audience of 660
people. In cases where an individual fits both of those descriptions,
that person has no way to report a bug or request a feature.

Lou is quite right to be concerned about Council needing to look at
multiple places to find bug reports. And I am not suggesting we
create another such place. My recommendation is:

* Council only looks at Sourceforge for bug reports and feature
  requests, nowhere else.

* We create an e-mail address "bug-and-feautres at tei-c.org" or
  whatever, that is explicitly for people to send such things to the
  TEI.

* A single individual (which LR thought of an air traffic controller,
  but that's not quite the right analogy) acts as a consolidator or
  channeler or aggregator or collector. This person receives the
  e-mail to the problem reporting address and, perhaps after
  clarifying details with the sender, puts it up on Sourceforge in
  the appropriate tracker.

* EITHER
  this individual also culls TEI-L and perhaps the various SIG lists
  for bug reports
  OR
  no bug reports are taken from lists; rather, if a topic of
  conversation on the list seems to have uncovered a bug or the need
  for a new feature, someone says "Yeah, you should submit that to
  Sourceforge or send mail to bugs-and-features at tei-c.org" or perhaps
  "I think that's a bug, so I put it into the bug tracker at
  Sourceforge" or whatever.

This individual would be appointed by Council, whether from among its
members or not.