[tei-council] Draft of 2008-02-07 conference call minutes

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed Feb 13 11:50:48 EST 2008

Looks good to me. I think it is an accurate reflection of the general
thrust of the discussion: there were one or two places where I thought
"is that really what x said?" but I think we wouldn't be able to get
more accurate without a meta-meeting and the conclusions are, as far as
I'm aware, all accurate.

I saw a couple of dittographies of a couple of words but now I can't
find them.

The question-marked attributions to me are all things I'm willing to
have said ;)

-dan

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 11:33 -0500, David Sewell wrote:
> All,
>
> Here is a preliminary text version of the minutes, which I'll plug into
> the XML template once it is final. Could everyone look it over and
> provide me with any necessary corrections or additional info? In
> particular:
>
> * search for '??' to see queries, mostly involving email list ownership
>
> * double-check attributions. I may not always have distinguished
> properly between Lou and Gabriel's voice (and possibly Sebastian once or
> twice), or between Paul and Dan. To give me better distinction in
> regional accents, I no doubt should have asked for ground rules at the
> start, e.g. "Lou, can we have you use a broad Scots dialect on this
> call, and Dan, could you emphasise the Canadian by doing either Bob and
> Doug McKenzie or Jean Chrétien, your choice?"
>
> David
>
> ==============
>
> MINUTES OF TEI COUNCIL CONFERENCE CALL, 7 FEBRUARY 2008
>
> Called to order 1300 UTC
>
> Participants:
>
>     Gabriel Bodard (GB), Peter Boot (PB), Arianna Ciula (AC), James Cummings
>     (JC), Syd Bauman (SB), Lou Burnard (LB), Dan O'Donnell (DO), Sebastian
>     Rahtz (SR), David Sewell (DS; minutes), and Laurent Romary (LR; Chair).
>
> Unable to participate:
>
>             Tone Bruvik, Elena Pierazzo, Manfred Thaller, and John Walsh.
>
> 1. Scope of Council Activities
>
>     1.1 Technical Activities
>
>     1.1.1 Guideline Status
>
>     LR asks us to consider the current status of Guidelines. How are we
>     handling updates and point releases? SR reminds us that he had raised the
>     question of fixed release vs. varying bug-fix releases and had
>     recommended a 2x per year schedule. GB, AC, and SB agreed that practice and
>     consensus was for a fixed timetable. SR notes that the 1.0.1 release is
>     a "release zero", not a 6-month release. LR concurs: the next release
>     will be over the summer, unless serious bugs appear. JC notes that
>     everyone has access to Sourceforge for intermediate stages.
>
>     Should we have "stable/unstable" distinction? It's helpful for people to
>     test releases.
>     GB: there is a fixed date in TEI timetable, the November meeting. Shall we say
>     there will always be a pre-release of next major release before Nov?
>
>     JC asks about about numbering of releases, so people can cite the
>     version of the Guidelines they are using. SR: the only way to do this is
>     by release dates, where the date is the version number.  LR notes that a
>     release is more than just a source version on SourceForge, it involves a
>     lot of checking.  DO asks if someone could just write up a numbering
>     language system for us to put on a Web page?  A new version number will
>     be added when there is an actual feature/module change, not just changes
>     to Guidelines language.
>
>     LR: can we stabilize a formulation?
>
>        Releases every 6 months; a pre-release before the November
> [...]
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative http://www.tei-c.org/

Department of English
University of Lethbridge