[tei-council] <tagUsage>, <tagsDecl>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 10 07:10:59 EST 2008

Brett Zamir wrote:
> If, as you say above, <namespace> is not required, then this line:
> A TEI conformant document
>     is not required to contain a <gi>tagsDecl</gi> element, but if one
>     is present, it must contain <gi>tagUsage</gi> elements for each
>     distinct element marked within the associated <gi>text</gi>.
> ...is not enforced by the schema, since I could still get by (as I'd
> like) with <tagsDecl><rendition/></tagsDecl> without any <tagUsage>'s.
> Unfortunately (imo), if you (as in TEI) are still requiring
> <tagUsage>'s when <tagsDecl> is included (and not simply that one is
> requiring <tagUsage>'s if <namespace> is included), you should
> probably be requiring <namespace> too (contrary to the prose change
> you say you made above), since that is necessary for <tagUsage>...

My apologies for overlooking this point the first time you made it. The
passage you quote predates the introduction of <rendition> as an
alternative option within <tagsDecl> and should have been updated.

The passage now reads:

A TEI conformant document is not required
to provide any <gi>tagUsage</gi> elements, but if it does, then TEI
recommended practice is to provide <gi>namespace</gi> and
<gi>tagUsage</gi> elements for each distinct element and
namespace used in the associated text. If, in addition, counts are
specified by the <att>occurs</att> attributes, these must correspond
with the number of such elements present in the document.

which I hope is a bit clearer and more explicit.