[tei-council] report from Virginia

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Fri Feb 8 16:21:33 EST 2008

I got together with Daniel Pitti and Chris Ruotolo today to update one
another on our roles in various TEI Board and Council acitivities, and
have a few things to report back.

1. Indeed, the machine hosting the Council email list
(lists.village.virginia.edu) is an antique box, but the system
administrator at IATH is in the middle of migrating its functions to the
brand-new server that will be housed in the University computer center
(with 24/7 maintenance and much less susceptible to power outage, etc.).
Once that happens (sounds like within a week or two), reliability of the
Council and Board email should be much improved.

When the final migration happens, there will be several hours of
downtime while the machine is physically moved, which will affect the
TEI website and wiki as well. They'll provide ample notice on TEI-L and
via email to the Board/Council lists.

2. Shayne, the IATH sysadmin, is going to look into adding full-text
search to the tei-council archive.

3. I've agreed to take over from Daniel the job of list administrator
for tei-board and tei-council, meaning that requests for address change,
problem reports, etc., should come to me from now on.

4. Christine made a suggestion that as we create workgroups and assign
Council responsibilities, someone on Council should be added to the
committee overseeing the TEI website (Chris and Julia Flanders at the
moment).

David

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA