[tei-council] Suggestions

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 16:14:42 EST 2008

I'm not sure when I'll be able to join the call (it seems to have moved
its time back two hours from what Sebastian told me) so I will just
comment here on a couple of Peter's suggestions.

Peter Boot wrote:

> * Many people still ask 'why should I bother with xml when I can put my
> text on a web page and be done with it?' Can't we create a book (or a
> perhaps a special issue of a TEI-friendly journal) with a number of
> articles that show the advantages of structured encoding for indexing,
> text analysis, publication, annotation, visualization, etc.?

This has of course been done before -- but that's certainly no reason
not to do it again.

> Organisation of the council
>
> * Shouldn't we have a searchable council mailing list? If needed, I
> believe I can set up a listserv list at surfnet.nl

I thought it was searchable? It's certainly archived. However, a
listserv hosted at surfnet.nl might well be a bit  more reliable than
the council list has been for the last year or so!

> And one more thing:
> Extension of the Guidelines
> Peter Robinson has been circulating a proposal for facilitating
> distributed editions that implies the need for a number of new TEI
> attributes. These attributes would make it possible to create linkages
> between multiple versions of a single text, and as such facilitate an
> integrated presentation of related resources to users. It builds on the
> work done by Neel Smith for the Canonical Text Services Protocol. I
> think we should discuss with Peter how this might be implemented.

I discussed this with Peter Robinson a few months back, and I think I
persuaded him at that time that he didn't need all those extra
attributes. But maybe his ideas have moved on since then. Certainly, I
agree with you that it's an interesting idea worth pursuing, and we
should actively seek a proposal from him or others interested in the idea.