[tei-council] on citing the source or the encoded version

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Wed Feb 6 03:08:16 EST 2008

> [1] Looking just now I realize this example is awful -- it has been
>     converted from P4 to P5 syntax in a somewhat brute-force manner.
>     I will update it soon, possibly within the next few hours.

OK, I've replaced the example completely. In order to give the who=
attribute someplace to point, I've also included the <titleStmt> with
<respStmt>s in it. This means that the reader needs to wallow through
quite a few lines of XML before getting to the part that we are
actually trying to exemplify. What should I do about this?

a) Nothing, it's a lovely self-contained example as is, readers
   should get used to reading a bit of XML

b) Swap the order of events, putting the <respStmt> elements after
   the <revisionDesc> that is being exemplified, even though that would
   not be the normal order in a <teiHeader>.

c) Make the <titleStmt> part a separate <egXML>, by putting some
   explanatory prose between 'em, i.e. something like:
     <egXML>
       /* <revisionDesc> part here */
     </egXML>
     The @who attributes in the above example will typically point to
     either <respStmt> elements in the <titleStmt>, or <person>
     elements in the <profileDesc>. For example:
     <egXML>
       /* <titleStmt> or <listPerson> part here */
     </egXML>

d) Same as (c), but skip the 2nd example, just leaving pointers to
   nowhere in the <revisionDesc> example.

If you're looking to see the example, it is #HD6.