[tei-council] Chapter 9 - Dictionaries

Laurent Romary laurent.romary at loria.fr
Wed Feb 6 01:27:07 EST 2008

Selon "Paul F. Schaffner" <pfs-listmail at umich.edu>:

> >> And a more elaborate one when an example is provided with its
> >> translation:
> >>   <cit type="example">
> >>     <quote>she's a stylish <oRef/>
> >>     </quote>
> >>     <cit type="translation" xml:lang="fr">
> >>      <quote>elle s'habille avec chic</quote>
> >>     </cit>
> >>    </cit>
> >
> > Wow. So to ascertain what "elle's ..." is a translation of, I look at
> > its parent's sibling <quote>? Is that always the case?
>
> Just to be clear, is this practice intended for use only in dictionaries?
> Or generally in running text? The pairing of example and translation
> (with or without bibliographical info) is after all one of the
> commonest things to find, practically everywhere.

Exactly. And one of the rationale behind using <cit> in such constructs is to
have a homogeneous representation with examples you would have in academic
papers for instance, where you typically provide a quatation (or sample from a
corpus) together with not only a source, but additional linguistic or scholarly
constraint.
having <cit> in both use cases is a way to make the guidelines more coherent in
this respect.
Laurent