[tei-council] Chapter 19 - Graphs, networks, and Trees

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 1 11:31:45 EST 2008

Brett Zamir wrote:
> *
>
> 19.1 Graphs and Digraphs
> *
> elements record the number of arcs that are *incident with* that
> node.", can "incident with" be used with nodes as well as arcs
> (instead of "adjacent with")? If so, should this definition be altered
> to reflect that?: "Each node in an arc of an undirected graph is said
> to be <term>incident</term> with that arc".

Not according to the definitions for "incident" and "adjacent" given in
the text.

> 2) For the example with "<node xml:id="LAX4" inDegree="1"
> outDegree="1">", might the explanation explain inDegree and outDegree
> here?

OK, added a sentence
> *19.1.1 Transition Networks
> *
> For the chart with The Old Man Come (Images/graph3.jpg), shouldn't one
> of these (the top one I think) be "Comes" instead of "Come"?

Drat. That means redrawing the picture! I'll see what we can do....
> *19.1.2 Family Trees
> *
> For <node value>'s such as "http://example.com/russell-fs/tei/kr1", is
> this format specified because the feature structure it targets must
> have an independent file on each such person?
No. The concept of "file" doesnt apply here (there must be an
independent feature structure, of course) -- it could just as well be
http://example.com/russell-fs/tei/persons.xml#kr1
for example

> *19.2 Trees
> *
> Is the line, "Finally, we permit a node to be specified as following
> other nodes, which (when its parent is ordered) it would be assumed to
> precede, giving rise to crossing arcs." correct? Should it be "assumed
> to follow"?

No, I don't think so, unless I misunderstand. The point is that even if
the parent of a node claims it is ordered, and therefore that if node A
follows node B (in the XML sense), then B precedes A, you can still say
no, on the contrary, A actually precedes B.