[tei-council] persName question

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 30 05:08:24 EST 2008

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Whatever else you do don't abuse semantics....
>
> The "mark it simply and canonicalize it later" is OK, but
> you'd still want to use a new namespaced attribute,
> I reckon, for sanity.
>
> What about two other cases:
>
> a)
>    <persName>John Smith</persName>
>
> where we are not sure _which_  John it is (we
> know of three). In this case <persName ref="#smith1 #smith2">
> would have a different meaning (ie alternation rather than
> a list)

This is a completely different problem. The point of using @ref and @key
is that you *have* resolved the target (or claim to). If you want to
mark up uncertainty about the resolution then you use the wonders of the
certainty module. Can you cite *any* other case where we use  multiple
values for an attribute to indicate an alternation rather than a
concatenation of some kind? I certaintly cannot.

> b)
> <persName ref="wikipedia.org#smith www.bbc.co.uk/people/smith">
> where there are two useful and distinct pointers to the same person.

Again, this seems to me an extension beyond what the current attributes
are designed to support. Yes it might be nice to use @ref to point to a
variorium of further info, but that's not what it's for. If you want to
do this, put the other references inside your <person> element.

> So does a multiple @ref mean
>
>   #1, #2
>   #1 | #2
>   #1 & #2
> ?

it always and only means the first of these

> how would  we distinguish?
>
> You _could_ organize your family into
>
>    <listPerson xml:id="Simpsons">
>       <listPerson xml:id="ParentSimpsons">