[tei-council] Report on Sanity Checker + Exemplars

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 30 04:04:04 EST 2008

David Sewell wrote:
> Below is a report on running Sanity Checker on all the TEI P5
> exemplar *.odd files in P5/Exemplars (plus tei_odds.odd, from Roma--
> where is that in the Subversion repository?).
its "tei_odds.odd.pre"; it gets mangled in the build process
to tei_odds.odd
> For some reason, "handNote" and "teiCorpus" get defined in most of the
> generated schemas even when not usable (see #3 and 4 below). Can this
> be fixed in a global way, so they don't have to be explicitly excluded
> from each affected exemplar?

probably not, easily. its not good, but I would incline
to explicit removal at this stage. I really hesitate to hack
the logic of the ODD processor at this stage in the cycle,
as I am sure to break something
> In other cases, for example with tei_odds and tei_math,
> the diagnostics may be erroneous. It looks like Sanity Checker may not
> be handing non-TEI-namespace definitions properly?

yes, thats entirely possible. I may be able to fix that,
but not promising
> I would suggest that as part of this week's cleanup we
>
>   * fix all the "not reachable from root" errors (except maybe for TEI Tite,
>     where we'll need input from Perry Trolard, see #2 below);

I think we own Tite, not Perry; I can't see it would upset him
or anyone.
>   * if possible, add some text to Sanity Checker preceding the lists of
>     "In X, Y does not exist" diagnostics to say that these are informational
>     only, not necessarily a sign of problems
>
> and then if Sanity Checker is in fact barfing on non-TEI-namespace elements,
> get that fixed as soon as someone who knows the code can do it.

it _may_ be easy :-}