[tei-council] broken schemas in exemplars

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Tue Jan 29 17:35:11 EST 2008

This just led me to notice an error in the TEI Header chapter, at 2.3.4,
The Tagging Declaration:

   The <tagsDecl> element consists of an optional sequence of <rendition>
   elements, each of which must bear a unique identifier, followed by at
   least one <namespace> element...

In fact both <namespace> and <rendition> are optional:

  element tagsDecl { att.global.attributes, ( rendition*, namespace* ) }

Change wording to "... followed by an optional sequence of one or more
<namespace> elements"?

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Lou Burnard wrote:

> FWIW, I was going to respond to the earlier comment suggesting that we should
> reinstate tagsDecl in TEI Lite
> Except that it will mean quite some expansion of the tutorial documentation.
>

> Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> > David Sewell wrote:
> >
> > > I actually think that global @rendition would be useful in TEI Lite.
> > > However, if we're excluding <tagsDecl> then there's no mechanism to
> > > add <rendition> elements, and therefore nothing for @rendition to point
> > > to legally (although with the existing P5 TEI Lite schema, using
> > > @rendition="#whatever" does not produce a validation error).
> > >
> > agreed, we have to decide whether <rendition> is out,
> > or <tagsDecl> is in. Who wants to make a judgement
> > call on this? well, seems clear to me that simplest is to
> > put <tagsDecl> back in to Lite.
> >
> > > If rendition goes then @rendition should be removed from att.global.
> > >
> > very true
> >
> > David, could you possibly do a report on the other Exemplars
> > and make a proposal for fixes?

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA