[tei-council] Chapter 10 - Manuscript Description

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 24 14:37:01 EST 2008

Hi,

since I saw this email about the MS chapter, I thought to report those
mistakes/comments that I had noted and hadn't found time to report yet
(sorry):

- example:
<msItem defective="true">
  <locus>ff. 1r-24v</locus>
  <title type="uniform">Ágrip af Noregs konunga sǫgum</title>
    ho<gap reason="illegible" extent="7" unit="mm"/>
  </explicit>
</msItem>

Surely all those <expan> should be <ex> instead.

- "Although no specific notation is defined here, provision is made for
the tagging of such with the standard TEI <formula> element. Here are
some examples of different ways of treating collation:"

I think the fact that <formula> is available only if the figures module
is used should be made explicit here.

- "The locus element discussed in 10.3.5 References to Locations within
a Manuscript can then indicate which foliation scheme is being cited by
means of its @source attribute, which points to this identifier:"

The attribute is @scheme and not @source.

- "for example, at the point in the transcript where the second hand
listed above starts (i.e. at folio 72v:4), we might insert handShift
new="#Eirsp-2"/."

It would be nice to have an example here.

Arianna (happy we have got a chair!)

Lou's Laptop wrote:

>> *10.7.2.4 Additions and Marginalia*
>>
>> It would seem that it might be helpful to have a means of describing
>> the relative location of marginalia (e.g., which margin, for example).
>> Is there some way to do this at present?
> Not at present: the <marginalia> element simply contains prose.

I think you mean <additions> here....I can see a case for adding it as a
member of att.placement myself.

>> *10.7.3.3 Accompanying Material*
>>
>> Does the <accMat> example with a <quote> inside actually referring to
>> an "agency external to the text". And what if the note was from the
>> author him/herself? Would it still be an agency external to the text?
>>
> Yes. The "text" here is the ms description itself, so anything quoted
> from somewhere else (in this case the scrap of paper being described) is
> a <quote>
>
>> take care,
>> Brett
>
> I try to :-)