[tei-council] New TEI Roma server needs testing

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Mon Jan 21 11:59:29 EST 2008

Given that links to http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/Query/tag.xq aren't given
from the main Roma web pages, should we go ahead and advertise the new
server, and maybe wait until after the new Roma release is out to
install it on the Virginia server and revisit whether and why incorrect
HTML is being returned for that script?

I noticed one other small problem with the Virginia installation. If you
go to the "Customize" tab, the languages under "Language" display as
gibberish unless one's browser is set to use UTF-8 encoding. This is
because the server is issuing a response header of

and there is no <meta> tag in the HTML saying to use UTF-8, so the
default assumption is Latin-1. Sebastian, what do you think is the best
fix--add the apropriate <meta/> tag to the generated HTML, or have us
tweak the server config to add charset=UTF-8 to the server Content-Type
header as you're doing at Oxford?

David

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> David Sewell wrote:
> > Part of the problem on the Virginia server is that
> >
> >  http://www.tei-c.org/stylesheet/teic.css
> >
> I am  working on this area anyway
> for another purpose, so this is opportune
> > is not there. As for "<span>" being passed as literal text--Sebastian,
> > any clue what's going on there?
> >
> not yet
> > Is http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/Query/tag.xq part of the "official"
> > Guidelines/Roma web directory?
> yes, FWIW
> >  I confess I'm not entirely clear why
> > there's a need to maintain a bookmarklet to the P5 Database as the
> > content duplicates that of the reference section in the P5 Guidelines.
> >
> You are right; it was there originally when Roma moved
> faster than the Guidelines. But I will simplify Roma to
> remove this facility, and instead simply link to the online
> Guidelines (which could also be a local copy, of course,
> for us on eg a Live CD)
>
> I aim to make a new Roma release at the end of the month
> with a new TEI P5 1.0.1. I spent the day yesterday with
> the French TEI translation group, and we identified
> a number of places where the I18N/L10N is not
> right yet, so I'd like to get those fixed.

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA