[tei-council] the pdf guidelines, a battle not a war

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 03:47:45 EST 2008

David Sewell wrote
> Will there be conceptual terms added to the Index eventually, as there
> were for the printed P4
> Guidelines? Or has this been discussed? (How was it handled for the
> printed P4 Guidelines?)

The P4 index was created automatically from embedded
<term> elements and so on. It was not very good then,
and it has got worse since (in that new prose has not
been consistently seeded with <term>s). It seemed sensible to
have no conceptual index rather than a bad conceptual

I don't see any way of improving this without
paying someone to do a conceptual index (hard
to imagine anyone doing it for free). Trouble is,
even if we did that, keeping it up to date would be hard.

Happy to be proved wrong, of course. I suspect
you are the best person here to advise, David?