[tei-council] the pdf guidelines, a battle not a war

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 7 14:30:04 EST 2008

James Cummings wrote:

> I don't know if I'm just being overly pedantic (what, who, me?) but are we
> being presentationally dishonest in providing a full citation after an example?

I think, yes, you are being a bit pedantic, but it raises quite an
important and interesting question as to the status of examples in the
Guidelines and elsewhere.

As you rightly suggest, the vast majority (possibly even all) of the
examples in the Guidelines are not quoted directly from previously
tagged works, but instead represent (sometimes several) ways in which
parts of some pre-existing work might or should be tagged. It had never
occurred to me before now that this was not entirely obvious, but
clearly we need to state it, if only to avoid the misconception that you
draw attention to.

For me the important point here is that the examples demonstrate how to
encode real texts rather than stuff made up for the purpose. This keeps
us honest, and also imposes the need to cite a source, so that the
skeptic may go and determine for themselves whether or not the proposed
tagging makes sense in context. And it shows that one USP of the
Guidelines is their ability to mark up (readings of) real, pre-existing
text, with all their complexity, rather than just provide markup for
materials born digital.

I don't honestly know whether the community of established TEI practice
is yet sufficiently mature or stable enough that it would be helpful to
include examples of how *in practice* people use TEI for a wide range of
materials. I was rather hoping that the TEI By Example project might
answer that question, but its agenda seems to be slightly different --
it uses made up examples, and such extracts as I have read so far
suggest that it is purely didactic, rather than exploratory, in its
coverage of encoding practice.

I don't there are any cases in the Guidelines where we cite an existing
TEI encoded text. It's kind of a boot strapping problem!

Lou