[tei-council] the pdf guidelines, a battle not a war

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 7 07:52:02 EST 2008

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I have updated http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/Guidelines.pdf
> to do the citation for examples better, and fix an
> indexing problem

I don't know if I'm just being overly pedantic (what, who, me?) but are we
being presentationally dishonest in providing a full citation after an example?

If I see a big shaded block quote, and underneath it I see:

Shields, David. Dead Languages, HarperCollins Canada/Perennial Rack, rpt.
1990, p.10.

Then what that means to me is that the big shaded block quote comes from
this book by David Shields.  Specifically that if I turn to page 10 of the
book that I'll see this example there...and in my mind that would include
the markup that we've put around it.  This isn't the case, the *text* and
in some cases linguistic information, may be from the work cited, but it is
not a quotation from the text.  (i.e. it is academically honest of us to
cite it, well done, but academically dishonest of us to be presenting it in
a way which might be confused for a citation for a quotation.
Interestingly, the TEI Markup is more accurate in using @corresp)

When the TEI Guidelines started there weren't (many) TEI encoded texts.
Now we have a lot more, and our examples may indeed draw on real existing
marked up texts as examples of markup.  One could argue that some of the
Chaucer examples are existing texts, but I don't think they exist in exact
the format used in the Guidelines.  But, in general, I'd be in favour of
using real existing TEI examples where the community wished to make them
available.  This distinction (that we provide the markup) was obvious
previously, but increasingly is less so.

The problem comes when we cite two examples in the same way, one which is
an existing TEI text and one which is a text where we've provided the
markup. If in both cases we just provide a citation underneath then it just
seems wrong to me.

Since the works cited list has a numbering system why not just use that?
(Ignoring Sebastian's plaintiff cries of having to pre-sort this or
similar.)  Thus we'd either just provide a number in square brackets, or
some leading text such as:

[12]
Source: [12]
Text from: [12]

or similar. Which in the electronic version would be a link to that item in
the Works Cited, and in the printed version would mean you could go find it
if you really needed to.  In the majority of examples the source of the
text is of little or no relevance to the information about TEI markup being
explained.

Maybe it is just me.

-James