[tei-council] Styling of TEI <ident> in HTML Guidelines

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 6 11:54:44 EST 2008

Syd Bauman wrote:
> Counts of occurences:

These would be more useful if they included a count for the case where
the attribute (scheme or type) is *not* specified.

>    2   <att scheme='HORSE'>
>    1   <att scheme='RNGANN'>
>    3   <att scheme='XHTML'>
>    2   <att scheme='XI'>
>    3   <att scheme='XML'>
>    1   <att scheme='extreme'>
>    8   <att scheme='imaginary'>

Is there anything to be gained by distinguishing schemes to this level
of detail? I can see a case for distinguishing "TEI" (the default) from
"Other" and possibly from "imaginary", but going beyond that seems
fairly useless to me. Why would we ever want to distinguish an XHTML
attribute from an XI one (and what is the XML scheme anyway -- does it
mean "namespace"?)
>    1   <gi scheme='DBK'>
>    1   <gi scheme='SMIL'>
>    1   <gi scheme='SVG'>
>    2   <gi scheme='extreme'>
>   77   <gi scheme='imaginary'>

as above
>   23   <idno type='doi'>
>    2   <idno type='handle'>
>    1   <idno type='isbn'>
>    2   <idno type='tei'>
>  117   <idno type='url'>

what on earth is a TEI type idno?

>   21   <macroSpec type='dt'>
presumably this means datatype, so why not call it "datatype"

>    7   <macroSpec type='pe'>
>
>    1   <moduleSpec type='core'>

this looks erroneous
>    1   <name type='class'>
>    5   <name type='datatype'>

these should be <ident>s
>    1   <name type='organization'>

How many <name>s of other kinds of things are there? is it worth
specifying just this one
>   38   <name type='xpscheme'>

maybe these should be <ident>s too?
>   35   <ptr type='cit'>
>   23   <ptr type='div1'>
>   56   <ptr type='div2'>
>   66   <ptr type='div3'>

I suspect there are gazillions of <ptr>s which don't supply a type
attribute to mean (as I assume these do) targType. If so, I think
consistency would be better served by removing these.

>    1   <relatedItem type='original'>

wot on earth is that?
>   12   <title type='main'>
>    1   <title type='sub'>