[tei-council] Styling of TEI <ident> in HTML Guidelines

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Thu Jan 3 22:09:59 EST 2008

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, James Cummings wrote:

> David Sewell wrote:
> [...]
>> Problem is, the current CSS doesn't handle any of the resulting
>> hyphenated ident classes. Here is a list of all of them in use:
>>
>>    ident
>>    ident-class
>>    ident-datatype
>>    ident-feature
>>    ident-file
>>    ident-frag
>>    ident-ge
>>    ident-kw
>>    ident-macro
>>    ident-model.ptrLike
>>    ident-module
>>    ident-ns
>>    ident-pe
>>    ident-rng
>>    ident-schema
>>    ident-schemafrag
>>    ident-var
>>
> [...]
>> Firefox and Safari support this. The alternative is a tedious
>> hand-listing of all of those class values in the CSS,
>
> If this was a significantly longer list, then I might feel that 'tedious
> hand-listing' was accurate.
>
> While I recognise the temptation to use the CSS2 attribute selection and would
> agree that this was the way to go if the list was a hundred or so, but given
> that it is 17 it seems significantly easier and browser backwards-compatible to
> just list each one of these.

Hmm. Of the above, in the XML source, <ident type="model.ptrLike"> was an error
which I've corrected. Of the rest, most represent "things" in TEI such as modules
and class names, and boldface seems appropriate. Three, however, should
perhaps be in italics:

 	ident-file  =  file name
 	ident-ns    =  namespace name
         ident-var   =  variable name

OK?

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA