[tei-council] lists and <label>

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Thu Dec 20 11:39:41 EST 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 11:36 AM, James Cummings <James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> But... Isn't the point of Sebastian's question really that this shouldn't
> be a list/item but a listWit?
>
> <listWit>
> <witness xml:id="El">Ellesmere, Huntingdon Library 26.C.9</witness>
> </listWit>

I agree with James, now that he's pointed this out (duh): this should
be a listWit. I need a vacation.

Dot

> If the sigla doesn't form a proper XML qname (or whatever the requirements
> for an xml:id) then using <label> inside witness to provide the widely
> accepted sigla for that manuscript would seem reasonable.
>
> The only formatting I've ever really seen on sigla in a list of witnesses
> is to make them bold, like a label. ;-)
>
> Best,
> -James
>

> Daniel O'Donnell wrote:
> > There isn't a standard rendering for sigla, though italics is one I've
> > never been asked to provide. Some of the options I've encountered in
> > sending my own work to presses are: no formatting (increasingly
> > popular), small caps (rare and old fashioned), bold (my preference), and
> > in a prize winning tei-encoded work on Caedmon's Hymn I know of (plug
> > plug), bold and color-coded.
> >
> > -dan
> >
> > On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 09:36 -0500, Dot Porter wrote:
> >> That's a siglum - an abbreviation of the name of the manuscript. As
> >> for how to render it - I don't know. I don't think sigla are normally
> >> rendered in any special way. Maybe italics?
> >>
> >> Dot

> Dr James Cummings, Oxford Text Archive, University of Oxford
> James dot Cummings at oucs dot ox dot ac dot uk

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-1257 x.82115
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu