[tei-council] lists and <label>

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Thu Dec 20 10:55:52 EST 2007

There isn't a standard rendering for sigla, though italics is one I've
never been asked to provide. Some of the options I've encountered in
sending my own work to presses are: no formatting (increasingly
popular), small caps (rare and old fashioned), bold (my preference), and
in a prize winning tei-encoded work on Caedmon's Hymn I know of (plug
plug), bold and color-coded.

-dan

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 09:36 -0500, Dot Porter wrote:
> That's a siglum - an abbreviation of the name of the manuscript. As
> for how to render it - I don't know. I don't think sigla are normally
> rendered in any special way. Maybe italics?
>
> Dot
>
> On Dec 20, 2007 9:28 AM, Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> > consider this:
> >
> > <list>
> >

> > what does <label> mean in this context, exactly? how should
> > I render it?
> >
> > --
> > Sebastian Rahtz
> > Information Manager, Oxford University Computing Services
> > 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN. Phone +44 1865 283431

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative http://www.tei-c.org/

Department of English
University of Lethbridge