[tei-council] Proposed changes to "Gentle Introduction"

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon Dec 17 15:22:49 EST 2007

> Sorry Syd, your note arrived ...

No problem.

> "The RELAX NG language allows a third form of connector, which
> permits items connected by it to appear in any order. This facility
> is not however supported by the XML DTD language."

Not even mentioning what that connector is, nor how to find out more
about it? Seems like a bit of a tease. I have two thoughts on this,
which are mutually exclusive, I'm afraid:

* Per Council decision in Berlin, interleave should not be mentioned
  at all. The entire sentence should be deleted.

* An ODD *can* make use of interleave. (In the general case, it is
  not possible to generate DTDs from such an ODD, and the TEI odd2dtd
  tool doesn't generate valid DTDs from any such ODD; this is why the
  Guidelines do not ever use interleave.[1]) Thus, not only should
  the above sentence stay, a footnote should direct the reader to
  more information on interleave.

> I have revised the offending para on mixed content constraints as
> follows: ...

I still think that, per the Council decision in Berlin, we should not
be discussing the constraints imposed by DTDs in the main body of
this chapter.

> Changed the sentence about xml:id to read:

Looks good to me.

Notes
-----
[1] Anyone else have thoughts on interleave and W3C Schema? I've
    tried using trang to convert a RELAX NG schema that uses
    interleave into W3C Schema. It generated a valid .xsd file, but
    that file permitted XML documents that the original .rnc did not.