[tei-council] Proposed changes to "Gentle Introduction"

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 17 13:51:41 EST 2007

Thanks David. I have now made the following changes, which I hope
address your concerns:

 > Change "possible connectors" to "commonly used connectors",

done

 > and add a
 > note reading, "The RELAX NG compact syntax allows, in addition to
 > these DTD connectors, an ampersand (&) for 'interleave'. It is like
 > the comma connector but allows items in the sequence to appear in
 > any order.

Not quite done. Here's my preferred wording for the note:

"The RELAX NG language allows a third form of connector,
which permits items connected by it to appear in any order. This
facility is not however supported by the XML DTD language."

I have revised the offending para on mixed content
constraints as follows:

"<p>Some XML schema languages place constraints on the way that mixed
content models may be defined. In particular, when using the XML DTD
language, if <code>text</code> appears with other elements in a
content model, it must always appear as the first option in an
alternation; it may appear once only, and in the outermost model
group; and if the group containing it is repeated, the star operator
must be used. These constraints do not apply to content models
expressed using the RELAX NG language.<note place="foot">The (good)
rationale for these
restrictions is beyond the scope of this tutorial, as are the
consequences of attempting to evade them. The TEI content models all
obey these constraints.</note></p>"

Changed the sentence about xml:id to read:

"The <att>xml:id</att> attribute is a special case
because it is predefined in the XML language as containing a unique
value which identifies the element bearing it. This value may be
used..."

(2) Under "Identifiers and Indicators", at the end of the sentence
"XML therefore predefines an attribute...", add a note reading
"@xml:id is defined as a W3C Recommendation; see _xml:id Version 1.0_
[linking to http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-id/]

Hmm, this involves an update to the bibliography as well, I
think. Which I will do next!