[tei-council] pdf version of guidelines, fonts

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 04:00:40 EST 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
>> äºº
>> âŠ
>> â„«
>>

> This is not really a useful way to tell us which characters are
> problematic. Do you think you could give us the Unicode code points?

you need a Unicode-aware OS / email client......

but they are
20154
8266
216

>> No more improvements in formatting yet, I have a list of suggestions
>> from Julia Flanders and Chris Ruotolo to work through.
>>

> You are still seeking input on current file, then, or should we wait
> until you've implemented these sets of changes to review for
> formatting?

if you have suggestions beyond Julia's, best to get them in
now if you can.

>  (because we have adopted W3C
> datatypes) the datatype has a limited range of numbers that can be
> expressed in scientific notation. Such an admission of the limitations
> of the system is extremely important, and needs to be expressed.
I am not entirely sure you are right. The relevant
bit is a <vaList type="semi"> applying to @unit in att.measurement.
Since it's only "semi", it is purely advisory, not normative.

Anyone who wants to know what a "kibibyte" is
will go look it up. Describing it as "1024 bytes"
doesn't tell me anything, since we don't define "byte"
anywhere!

The text says
Wherever appropriate, a recognised SI unit name should be
used (see further <ptr target="http://www.bipm.org/en/si/"/>
which is fine. Personally, I'd leave it as is and forget
the whole <valList>. Partially summarizing international standards
seems like an odd thing to do.

it is unfortunate that <hi> is not allowed inside <note>,
so we cannot do superscripts that hacky way.
> I find it hard to swallow that, given you are using TeX -- the world's
> foremost mathematical text formatting language -- as the back end, we
> can't get superscript numerals.
Well, we can, of course, if you can get me some
notation in the source from which I can construct
superscripts. Heck, use MathML if you must, and I
will implement it.

As ever, I seek short-term results. I can't put the PDF
out with missing glyphs; and I can't find a font which
has all that are needed. So I made some sacrifices.