[tei-council] pdf version of guidelines, fonts

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Wed Dec 5 21:56:06 EST 2007

> I bet some of you care about fonts and glyphs. If you don't, stop
> reading now.

I think it's probably a good idea to read this message, even if you
don't care much about fonts and glyphs.

> ... I can do everything except three characters:

> äºº
> âŠ
> â„«

This is not really a useful way to tell us which characters are
problematic. Do you think you could give us the Unicode code points?

> No more improvements in formatting yet, I have a list of suggestions
> from Julia Flanders and Chris Ruotolo to work through.

You are still seeking input on current file, then, or should we wait
until you've implemented these sets of changes to review for
formatting?

> ALERT! I edited some of the stuff in att.measurement.xml to remove
> some of the things which were driving me crazy in typesetting. Syd,
> you may well want to look over the changes, since you are the one
> who wanted all this in.

(I gather this means that the 3 characters listed above are not alone
in giving you trouble :-)

I'm not sure that thinking "Syd is the one who wanted this" is a
useful way of approaching such issues. The statement that is giving
you trouble is the confessional that (because we have adopted W3C
datatypes) the datatype has a limited range of numbers that can be
expressed in scientific notation. Such an admission of the limitations
of the system is extremely important, and needs to be expressed. That
is, I think your current solution of outright deleting the statement
that (as currently worded) contains characters that are problematic to
typeset, is a very bad idea.

I stick to that which I told you on 11-18 at 19:17 --

  if it were encoded as a formula, the TEI -> PDF process could
  generate a superscript, and the TEI -> XHTML process could either
  use the correct Unicode character or use style="vertical-align:
  super;". [Or whatever the right CSS is.]

  If we *have* to use <hi>, so be it, but there should be comments
  right next to it explaining it as a hack.

I find it hard to swallow that, given you are using TeX -- the world's
foremost mathematical text formatting language -- as the back end, we
can't get superscript numerals. But if that really is the case, then
we can reword the sentence. (But honestly, "from plus or minus ten
raised to the power negative 323 to plus or minus ten raised to the
power 308" is pretty verbose.)-: