[tei-council] policy tested (was "Re: [TEI-L] <measureGrp> and <text>")

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 21:32:29 EST 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> This posting demonstrates rather well the slipperiness of the concept of
> "corrigible error". We can all agree that a content model of
> model.measureLike or <text> is plainly wrong for this element. I can
> certainly fess up to the fact that I wrote  "<text>" when I should have
> written "text".  So on the face of it the obvious correction is to
> replace <rng:ref name="text"> with <rng:text> since that's what I
> intended: just as if I had written "txet" instead of "text".
>
> However, there are at least three other and arguably better ways of
> correcting this error:
> (a) one should be consistent with other uses of <rng:text> and  change
> the content model to reference macro.xtext
> (b) one should be consistent with other uses of the element name suffix
> "Grp" and disallow "text" completely
> (c) one should rename the element to something else and allow text (or
> macro.xtext)
>
> Given such shifting sands (and I haven't even started on the question of
> whether the attribute classes are right) I think the "treat it as a
> typo" solution is probably the safest course, even though it does break
> the letter of the Birnbaum law about not making changes in the schema.

I do not think that fixing the typo does break the rules we set
ourselves for maintenance (where is this document on the new website?  I
can't find it -- I think it was TCW09).  However as you say, we should
not use this as an opportunity to fix more than the typo.  So I think a)
is the way to go.

Bes,t

Christian

--