[tei-council] policy tested (was "Re: [TEI-L] <measureGrp> and <text>")

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 07:14:10 EST 2007

This posting demonstrates rather well the slipperiness of the concept of
"corrigible error". We can all agree that a content model of
model.measureLike or <text> is plainly wrong for this element. I can
certainly fess up to the fact that I wrote  "<text>" when I should have
written "text".  So on the face of it the obvious correction is to
replace <rng:ref name="text"> with <rng:text> since that's what I
intended: just as if I had written "txet" instead of "text".

However, there are at least three other and arguably better ways of
correcting this error:
(a) one should be consistent with other uses of <rng:text> and  change
the content model to reference macro.xtext
(b) one should be consistent with other uses of the element name suffix
"Grp" and disallow "text" completely
(c) one should rename the element to something else and allow text (or
macro.xtext)

Given such shifting sands (and I haven't even started on the question of
whether the attribute classes are right) I think the "treat it as a
typo" solution is probably the safest course, even though it does break
the letter of the Birnbaum law about not making changes in the schema.