[tei-council] Changes to the TEI Bylaws

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Nov 26 16:09:28 EST 2007

Hi all,

The Board has been working over the last year on ways to allow us to
focus more broadly on community building, support, and education. The
emphasis on this at the 2007 Members meeting was welcome encouragement.
We hope to continue this work over the coming year.

In order to effect this change in emphasis, the Board would like to
propose some changes to the TEI Bylaws. These involve
     1. changes to the charter of the TEI council
     2. a change in the relationship of the Council Chair to the Board
     3. a removal of the requirement in the Bylaws that the board
appoint two editors (this requirement will be replaced by new language
that gives the council flexibility to appoint non-voting staff as
required to carry out its various (old and new) functions)

The changes we propose and a justification for them can be seen at the
following URL: http://www.tei-c.org/Admin/nbl.xml

There are three methods of changing the TEI bylaws:
      * affirmative vote of at least one-half of the members of TEI-C
        voting in person or by proxy at a regular or special meeting
      * a true majority of the Board of Directors then in office acting
        at a regular or special meeting
      * unanimous written consent of the Board

We believe that a special meeting of the Board preceded by a call for
comment is the most efficient and transparent method of proceeding.
While we have reached a consensus as to the nature and necessity of
these changes, we are eager to hear the opinion of the membership before
we vote. We are therefore scheduling a special meeting of the board to
occur no less than 21 days from today in order to vote on these
amendments.

We therefore invite all interested parties to review these proposed
changes to the Bylaws before the 17th of December. Comments, suggestions
for revision, and advice can be directed to Consortium Chair
(daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca), Vice Chair (Julia_Flanders at brown.edu), or
any member of the Board (http://www.tei-c.org/About/board.xml).

Thank you very much for your attention to this matter: with the
publication of P5, the Consortium has reached an important stage in its
development. We value your input as to its future!

-dan
--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative <http://www.tei-c.org/>