[tei-council] pdf version of P5

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 07:22:55 EST 2007

James Cummings wrote:
> My worry with envisioning that, however, is that it might be a) impossible,
> especially when we have the same named attributes on different elements and they
> have different dataypes. (i.e. we have provided a closed valList for one and not
> for another).  (No examples spring to mind, but I'm sure compiling such a list
> would find them.)

Not only we can have different datatypes (although this has been largely
reduced before the launch), but also different refined descriptions
based on the element that supply the context (see @type as in
att.segLike and as attribute of <relation>).

> and b) If it is just a join table of this attribute name is used in this class
> or on these elements, I worry about how much use that will be.  The only use, I
> guess for it is when I'm looking at @ref on persName and wondering "what other
> elements have a @ref attribute?" ... The question is whether I really should be
> wondering that or "what other elements have *this* @ref attribute?" (i.e. are
> members of att.naming, and the Appendix B should already answer that.)

I think an index of attributes would be useful in general and
particularly  for those people that want to extend what they are
representing within an element but are not sure about the 'meaning' of a
specific attribute before even knowing what class it belongs to. So,
although tricky to envisage and may be not that feasible once you
consider all the different cases, I would have:

attribute name
    att classes: att.blabla --> links of course
    elements that have it: elements classes with elements in brackets
(possibly in bold elements that have that attribute as singular case not
within a class) --> links of course

Arianna

--
Dr Arianna Ciula