[tei-council] next release

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 8 10:42:38 EST 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Lou Burnard wrote:
>> err, can someone tell me how many there are or are likely to be?
> about 490, I think, when the TEI is reduced to
> <ab>, <seg> and feature structures.

Assuming that *this* is trolling, I'd still like to know why we are
suddenly worrying about deprecated elements: I probably missed something!

I suppose that the scenario envisaged is:
a) we notice an attribute or an element in P5 that we really think ought
to be changed
b) we can't change it in the schema till the next release
c) but we want to reduce the damage that it will have if people go on
using it in the meantime
d) so we change the ODD to warn people that, tho currently legal, this
element is likely to change significantly at the next release

If so, this is *just about* plausible, but still (I would have thought)
not likely to be a major problem. We're just as likely to have changes
which don't affect existing elements aren't we? and those are going to
cause just as much damage to existing users when they spring into life
since those existing users will find their local ODDs are suddenly
broken for no obvious reason. In fact that scenario seems *more* likely
to me -- since I know it has happened in the past.