[tei-council] next release

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 8 09:19:57 EST 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Lou Burnard wrote:
>>
>>> if we are going to record deprecation, then we had better extend the ODD
>>> language now to support that :-} In practice, we can use probably use
>>> @usage for that
>>> on <elementSpec> and possibly <attDef>, but it may be safer to add
>>> something new.
>>>

>> I would deprecate such practice.
> assuming you are not just trolling, _which_ practice?
>
> obviously a *Spec needs to know it is deprecated, so
> that it can be shown in grey or something; or do you
> mean you don't like deprecation at all?

The other option being that you just record it in the desc as (Deprecated,
to be removed at P6)  or something similar.  I recognise that this isn't as
useful.  I mean if it was in the ODD properly as an attribute value you
could warn people in Roma when they were including deprecated elements and
such.  What would be better, of course, is if there was a way to indicate
in a bit of prose why it was deprecated.

<desc type="deprecated">Deprecated.  This element has been replaced by the

-James