[tei-council] next release

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 8 03:49:11 EST 2007

James Cummings wrote:

> What is the difference between doing this and simply having the
> current system of SVN for development branch and occasional stable
> releases?
because, as I keep saying, you cannot then separate out a definitely
harmless release
from a potentially impactful one, because you do both typo correction
and feature
adding intertwingled
> In both cases there is a place people can get the cutting edge, and a
> place they can get the last stable.  I'm still not convinced that the
> extra effort involved in branching is worth it.
the extra involved in branching is absolutely minimal, if you're prepared
to work in a disciplined way.

> Any time I've tested merging things from one branch to another in SVN
> I've ended up with problems and complications.
see above, "disciplined working". Subversion is not a magic wand with which
you can say "sort out all the stuff I did in the last few months,
somehow". It has
very precise tools to compare two versions of a tree and merge the
differences.
> I understand that this can be useful in source code production, but
> the production of the Guidelines seems slightly different.  Unlike
> some, I feel that people can wait for changes until the next stable
> release whether typos or more serious bugs.  (Unlike software our bugs
> don't really have security implications, or usually cause the software
> to not function.) Or if they really want them, they grab them from
> sourceforge.
I'm fine with that too, if its the preference, 6 monthly releases full-stop.