[tei-council] next release

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 8 02:09:03 EST 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> If we stockpile requests in eg trac, and then make them all in
> one fell swoop, we build up a logjam of work, potentially. That's
> the reason for having a stable branch and a development branch.
> You make fixes continuously in development, where people can
> see and test them, and work more cautiously in the stable
> trunk; but still make bug fixes in either.

What is the difference between doing this and simply having the current system
of SVN for development branch and occasional stable releases?  In both cases
there is a place people can get the cutting edge, and a place they can get the
last stable.  I'm still not convinced that the extra effort involved in
branching is worth it.

> The tools let you
> easily merge from one branch to another without any
> sort of need to do things twice.

Any time I've tested merging things from one branch to another in SVN I've ended
up with problems and complications.  Maybe that is just me.  It seems like an
extra layer of complication that we don't need.

> Frankly, I am puzzled by the reluctance to follow what
> seems to me "software engineering using Subversion 101"....

I understand that this can be useful in source code production, but the
production of the Guidelines seems slightly different.  Unlike some, I feel that
people can wait for changes until the next stable release whether typos or more
serious bugs.  (Unlike software our bugs don't really have security
implications, or usually cause the software to not function.) Or if they really
want them, they grab them from sourceforge.

-James