[tei-council] how to release errata, versions etc

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 04:14:35 EST 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> I don't see how that answers my question. Yes, some fixes affect
> documents, some don't. But why use a separate branch?

to let you release one without the other.

> Right. So it's not a .0.1 release, it's a .1.0 release. I don't think
> anyone is suggesting that when you change the minor number, you can't
> always fix typos. (Unless you are ... ?)

no. but I am suggesting that you want to make typo releases
with different criteria from adding new features. for a typo
release, you don't need to update your _system_ (editor, public
schemas etc). I can't be the only person maintaining a TEI
setup on a public server?

>  If
> we fix a typo, why should Terry Tagger and Emily Encoder have to wait
> to see the corrected version? (I wouldn't say, BTW, that it's to
> avoid making them download the package from Sourceforge: the *vast*
> majority of TEI users read P5 via our website and access the schemas
> via Roma or oXygen.)

quite. rolling out a new release involves our friends at Syncrosoft
and so on. its just not "nice" to roll out a new release every 5
minutes.

the feedback I got from people at the MM is that they
want _stability_ now, but also a roadmap for what
is proposed to come.

but maybe I didn't get a proper cross-section