[tei-council] how to release errata, versions etc

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 17:53:59 EST 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> I may be missing something, but don't understand why we would bother
> to branch. Why not just continue development where the Guidelines are
> right now? When there are a bunch of fixes, release a new version
> (which I think should occur pretty frequently).
the reason is that some fixes affect documents, others don't
>  If that new version
> changes the schemas, bump the "minor" number. If it changes only
> typos in the chapters, change only the "bug fix" number.
the problem is that you can't fix things incrementally.
if I fix 25 typos, and you add 1 attribute, I can't
make .0.1 release without your added attribute.

I know that "release early, release often" is a mantra
for software, but I am not sure its right for a pseudo-standard
such as we are running.

I'm all in favour of nightly builds, mind, to make
sure people can track the bleeding edge. but thats
why I want to fork, to let us have a bleeding edge
separate from a stable bug-fix version.