[tei-council] how to release errata, versions etc

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 08:50:34 EST 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> I am not sure that the effort of distinguishing "text correction and
> translation fixes" from "Birnbaum-compliant schema changes" is going
> to be easy. Deciding what goes into 1.0.1 as opposed to the 1.1 fork
> may be so non-trivial as to call into question the usefulness of the
> distinction.
yes, it might be impossible.

> For example: changing the text describing an existing valItem is
> clearly a 1.0.1 item. Is adding a new valItem to an open list? again,
> presumably yes. But adding one to an existing closed list? clearly
> not. So how about adding the new item and changing the list from
> closed to open? Which is that?
these are all easy. if the generated schema changes, its 1.1. Most typos
will
be in the chapters, after all.

> And how about changing the text of an existing valItem/desc by
> inserting the word "not" at some strategic point?
that's surely so rare/unlikely that we need not worry about it? that
changes the
abstract model.....

But I would still feel happier issuing a version which I could
promise cannot affect your documents and ODDs. Suppose, for instance, you
were not into conformance, and had an ODD which added @who to <quote> -
if we added it as well, your ODD would fall over. I know we are not
promising to help this benighted person, but why annoy them if
we can avoid it?