[tei-council] NH final but typos

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Sun Oct 28 18:26:15 EST 2007

> > > * #NHME, 4th <egXML>:
> > >   What are the intervening <p> elements for? Why not just
> > >   <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples" corresp="#NH-eg-02">
> > >       <s>Catholic woman of twenty-seven with five children And a body
> > >         first-ratepointed her finger at the back of one certain man and
> > >         asked me, "Is that guy a psychiatrist?" and by god he was!</s>
> > >       <s>Grown quiet, I looked at his pink back, and thought.</s>
> > >   </egXML>
>
> > Also a plausible encoding but presumably not close to the original,
> > and in any case notas good for the pedagogic reasons that this
> > passage was chosen in the first place.
>
> Well, presuming Dan's quoting of the original is pretty reasonable
> earlier in the chapter, I don't see a single paragraph is further
> from the original then 3 of them. It's not as though the paragraphs
> are aligned with the line breaks -- they just wrap the sentences.

They don't do any harm and they are arguably good style--or at least a
style. It seems a minor detail on a sunday before launch. I have no fish
to fry on the issue, but I think good practice now would be only to
remove mistakes.

> > I don't known what the <choice> is doing there either so I killed
> > it.
>
> There are 2 other <choice> elements in the entire Guidelines, and
> they are both in this chapter.

Me trying to be PC about my P5. But I don't want to stand out!

> > > * #NHVE, first 2 <egXML>s: I am uncomfortable with implying that it
> > >   is OK or good to be reconstituting partial elements by co-indexing
> > >   n=. We have an attribute for the simple case, part=; we have
> > >   attributes for the complicated case: next= and prev= (shown in next
> > >   xmp); we have at least 2 out-of-line methods (<join> and stand-off
> > >   w/ <xi:include>). Why are we introducing another, demonstrably
> > >   problematic method? I realize we discuss the problems, but this
> > >   abuse of n= rubs me the wrong way, anyhow.
> > >
> > where on earth did that suggestion come from? it strikes me as
> > pretty weird!
>
> To which suggestion are you referring?

I think lou means my adding it was weird: I'm happy if it comes out,
since it looks like my intention is unintelligble if you're not me.

> > > * "In as much as it uses elements not included in the TEI namespace,
> > >   stand-off markup involves an extension of the TEI." This is false
> > >   on 2 grounds: ...
> > I think it needs to be clearer that standoff per se is not an extension
> > (it can't be since there are other bits of TEI which exemplify it).
> > However, it is now definitely pumpkin time for this cinderella of a
> > chapter...
>
> Just delete the entire paragraph! It's only got 1 sentence, and it's
> a false one.

Since both editors agree on this, I'm happy to have it go.

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative <http://www.tei-c.org/>
Director, Digital Medievalist Project <http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/>
Associate Professor and Chair of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
Vox: +1 403 329 2378
Fax: +1 403 382-7191