[tei-council] NH final but typos

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sun Oct 28 18:04:56 EST 2007

> Changed to "their"

Oy vey!

> > * #NHME, 4th <egXML>:
> >   What are the intervening <p> elements for? Why not just
> >   <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples" corresp="#NH-eg-02">
> >       <s>Catholic woman of twenty-seven with five children And a body
> >         first-ratepointed her finger at the back of one certain man and
> >         asked me, "Is that guy a psychiatrist?" and by god he was!</s>
> >       <s>Grown quiet, I looked at his pink back, and thought.</s>
> >   </egXML>

> Also a plausible encoding but presumably not close to the original,
> and in any case notas good for the pedagogic reasons that this
> passage was chosen in the first place.

Well, presuming Dan's quoting of the original is pretty reasonable
earlier in the chapter, I don't see a single paragraph is further
from the original then 3 of them. It's not as though the paragraphs
are aligned with the line breaks -- they just wrap the sentences.

> This is something we disagree on, fairly fundamentally, so I am not
> going to comment further. In any case, we don't have time to make
> further substantive revisions in this version.

OK, no need to comment. We can argue about whether or not <milestone>
should be (ab)used as a segment boundary delimiter for P5. In the
meantime, you can eliminate the confusing implicating easily, as
noted previously: insert a <div> with an xml:id="NHTM", move the two
paras indicated into it, add the <head>, delete the "also", and
presto!

> There are quite a few places in the Glines where we do exactly like
> that.

1) Not quite -- the GLs (so far) use <anchor> to denote 1 end of a
   range, not both
2) I don't really like it for that, either.

> I don't known what the <choice> is doing there either so I killed
> it.

There are 2 other <choice> elements in the entire Guidelines, and
they are both in this chapter.

> The <q> should be a <mentioned> in my view.

We should discuss the philosophy of if & when a quotation is ever
used, as opposed to just being mentioned, over a mug of Orangina
sometime.

> > * #NHVE, first 2 <egXML>s: I am uncomfortable with implying that it
> >   is OK or good to be reconstituting partial elements by co-indexing
> >   n=. We have an attribute for the simple case, part=; we have
> >   attributes for the complicated case: next= and prev= (shown in next
> >   xmp); we have at least 2 out-of-line methods (<join> and stand-off
> >   w/ <xi:include>). Why are we introducing another, demonstrably
> >   problematic method? I realize we discuss the problems, but this
> >   abuse of n= rubs me the wrong way, anyhow.
> >
> where on earth did that suggestion come from? it strikes me as
> pretty weird!

To which suggestion are you referring?

> > * "In as much as it uses elements not included in the TEI namespace,
> >   stand-off markup involves an extension of the TEI." This is false
> >   on 2 grounds: ...
> I think it needs to be clearer that standoff per se is not an extension
> (it can't be since there are other bits of TEI which exemplify it).
> However, it is now definitely pumpkin time for this cinderella of a
> chapter...

Just delete the entire paragraph! It's only got 1 sentence, and it's
a false one.