[tei-council] review of IM

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 28 09:04:53 EST 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> Ah. I guess I had a mis-understanding, then: I thought Roma the web
> app was a front-end to roma.sh, itself a wrapper around a truck-load
> of transformations.

no. the Roma PHP app does _not_ do a
call to "roma.sh". it  does eg

    $oXSL = new domDocument();
    $oXSL->load( roma_StylesheetDir . '/odds/odd2odd.xsl' );
    $oProc = new XsltProcessor();
    $oProc->importStylesheet( $oXSL );
        $oProc->setParameter( null, 'stripped', 'true');
    $oProc->setParameter( null, 'TEISERVER', roma_xquery_server);
    $oProc->setParameter( null, 'TEIC', 'true');

its a second implementation of the same ideas.
> While I agree with you on what the Guidelines should say in this
> section, then, I'm wondering if it's still OK to teach users to think
> of Roma the web app as a front-end to roma.sh?

I would not explain it like that myself.

"Roma" is really a very trivial process:

 1. process the .odd file with odd2odd.xsl to make a flattened ODD
 2. transform flattened ODD to DTD or RELAXNG or HTML

there are some details of parameters to pass, but
nothing huge.

The 5000 lines of PHP in web Roma simply help
you construct the basic .odd file, of course.