[tei-council] review of IM

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 28 06:30:20 EST 2007

Great that this stuff has finally had a proofread,
I shall sleep easier at night.
> It's not clear to me that this section needs to be in the Guidelines
> at all. (It's very clear that it needs to exist -- it is important
> documentation.) It is currently part of the chapter "Using the TEI",
> but really has very little to do with _using_ the TEI. It is probably
> better positioned as an appendix.

We could discuss at length; but let's not. I'd
leave sleeping dogs alone.
> The entire section does not mention the inclusion of Schematron rules
> in an ODD, nor their extraction.

true. a complete omission. but unless you
can write a section in the next few hours,
not much to be done.

With regard to your detailed comments,
I'll comment below only if I disagree
>       external schemas written in RELAX
>       NG<?tei do these have to be in XML or compact syntax? --sb?>.

XML
> * #IM-unified/p[7]/note, sentence 2: would "The roma program behind
>   the P5 Roma application is not as sophisticated, ..." be incorrect?

yes. there is no "roma program". you could could say

"The XSLT transformations behind the P5 Roma application are
not as sophisticated".
> * Same para, next sentence, "consequentially": I don't wonder if the
>   word "consequently" is what is intended, in which case it should be
>   moved to be the 1st word of the sentence:
>     Consequently, surrounding constructs, such as a
>   If "consequentially" is what was meant, we need to explain what
>   consequence is of concern.

because an empty <zeroOrMore> is an error.
> * #IMGS: In this section the `trang` program is encoded as an
>   <ident>; in the previous section Roma, I think it was, was not
>   encoded at all. I think that all references to programs, utilities,
>   commands, etc. should be encoded as <name type='pgm'>. (After all,
>   "trang" is the name of a program.)

interesting. had not occurred to me to use <name> for that
> * IMGS/p[8], rest of para: Why are we recommending this only for
>   DTDs? Just because it is hard for us to do for RELAX NG doesn't
>   mean we should not recommend ODD processors do this.

true.

> * #ref-faith: probably would be good to come up with a more recent
>   image.

done

I am _hoping_ that Lou will be able to make
all these edits.