[tei-council] comments on "Representation of Primary Sources"

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 00:33:55 EDT 2007

Council members,

I selected the chapter Representation of Primary Sources (PH) for my Sunday
reading pleasure. Here are some of the things I found:

The second example introducing <zone> has a <zone> element

<zone
    ulx="0"
    uly="0"
    lrx="500"
    lry="321">
   <graphic

url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Handschrift.karlsruhe.blb.jpg"/>
  </zone>

for both the left hand and the right hand page.  This seems redundant.  Is
this really necessary?

Under 11.3.2, a Unicode character is referenced by its codepoint "x204A",
which is as strange notation.  I recommend to use the established form
U+204A to refer to Unicode codepoints throughout.

typo:  "alternaative"

The use of <g> in the example in 11.3.2, which I noticed today for the first
time makes me uneasy:

According to its <desc>, <g>:
<q>(character or glyph) represents a non-standard character or glyph.
@ref	points to a description of the character or glyph intended. </q>

This would preclude the use for more than one glyph.  Since the intention is
to docment the abbreviation, which is arguably one glyph, <g> could be seen
to represent the abbreviation, referenced through the @ref attribute, but
not the characters "er" or "per" as in the example.

I would therefore propose to rewrite the example using these characters as
the content of <g>:

hath a place in this
ladder

and similarily for the following examples in this section.  This would have
the additional benefit of making the implementation of processing software
etc. much more straightforward.

I am sorry to make this observation at such a late date, but this is the
first time I noticed this (I believe this has been recently added, no?).
But anyhow, I think it is important to demonstrate correct usage, therefore
think it is absolutely necessary to fix this.

(I haven't finished the chapter yet, but wanted to post this observation
immediately.  other comments might follow)

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern