[tei-council] Fwd: SA-inking, Segmentation, and Alignment comments (with links)

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sat Oct 27 23:00:58 EDT 2007

Nicely done, John. A few explanations y'all might find helpful
follow.

* 16.2.3 W3C element Scheme #1: "22" vs "25" in paths:
  My recollection is I double-checked this just because it seemed
  wrong to me, too, and that's the way it is. There is a helpful
  commented-out note for one of them:
     <!--<note type="cit" resp="#sdb">Jon Bosak's XMLification of
     Moby Lexical Tools' plain text version of Hamlet. As of <date
     value="2004-12-22"/>, the node
     xpath1(/*[1]/*[8]/*[2]/*[25]/*[2]) (or, perhaps more usefully,
     xpath1(/PLAY[1]/ACT[3]/SCENE[1]/SPEECH[19]/LINE[1])) selects the
     element <q><![CDATA[<LINE>To be, or not to be: that is the
     question:</LINE>]]></q>.</note> -->

* 16.2.3 W3C element Scheme #2: typo "through line number"
  Nope, not a typo.
      The Through Line Number records the lines from the start of the
      play or poem to the end without starting again in a different
      scene or section.
      [http://internetshakespeare.uvic.ca/Library/facsimile/helpwindow.html]
  In some encoding systems (unique to Shakespeare? Idunno) there is a
  <TLN> element.

* 16.2.4 TEI XPointer Schemes #1: "xpath1. pointer scheme"
  I don't get it. I couldn't find the string "th1." anywhere in the
  chapter. Are you asking about an extraneous period or why it's
  called "xpath1" instead of "xpath"?
  While we're at it, does anyone know if XPath2 is officially a
  recommendation yet? If so, we can remove the comments around
  <!-- xpath2 deleted until
       standardized <name type="xpscheme">xpath2</name>, -->
  and those around #SATSXP2.

* 16.2.4.1 Introduction to TEI Pointers #3: typo?
  Really good question. I do not know if the authors intended
  "xpointer scheme draft" to be a proper noun or not. My instinct is
  to replace "with a W3C draft specification known as the xpointer
  scheme draft" with "with the W3C draft specification
  <title>XPointer xpointer() Scheme</title>". For the bibliography
  the spec and thus info is at http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-xpointer/.

* [various] [Should XPointer schemes be indicated with parens?]
  I am so glad you said that! I think they look better with parens,
  too. This is a stylesheet issue: in prose they are all encoded as
  <name> with type="xpscheme".

* 16.9.4 Well-formedness and Validity of Stand-off Markup #1: typo
  I had intended a colon followed by a space.