[tei-council] Preface updated

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 27 15:57:26 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> Another thought.
>
>    With this version, the Guidelines also enter a new stage in their
>    development as a community-maintained open source project: it is
>    the first version to have benefited from the close overview and
>    oversight of an elected TEI Technical Council.
>
> Do you intend "community-maintained" to be synonymous with Council
> oversight?

Not synonymous, but certainly closely connected. The point is that the
work has been signed off by a group elected from the user community.

> Either way, this implies that all three (community-maintained, open
> source, and Council oversight) are all at least very tightly
> intertwined if not one and the same. But being open source has
> nothing to do with having Council oversight. The TEI-C could have
> chosen to develop P5 in complete secrecy with only Council members
> and editors able to see the source. Adding a comma, changing colon to
> semicolon, and inserting "furthermore" yields:
>
>    With this version, the Guidelines also enter a new stage in their
>    development as a community-maintained, open source project;
>    furthermore, it is the first version to have benefited from the
>    close overview and oversight of an elected TEI Technical Council.
>
> We may also wish to drop "community-maintained". It may imply more
> openness than P5 ever enjoyed or had to suffer.

I don't who the "we" who wish to drop this notion may be, but it sure
don't include me, nor (as far as I am aware) does it reflect the current
thinking of the TEI Council.