[tei-council] Conformance inconsistency

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Oct 25 18:33:11 EDT 2007

#CF, 23.3 "Conformance":
   A document is also said to be TEI Conformant if it is a
   well-formed XML document which can be transformed algorithmically
   and automatically into a TEI Conformant document as defined above
   without loss of information.

#CFNS, 23.3.4 "Use of the TEI Namespace":
   A schema which introduces non-TEI elements or attributes within
   the TEI namespace is also non-TEI Conformant;

These conflict. If I want to add a global rendMe= attribute which
combines both rend= and rendition= (say, uses the syntax "get(#id)"
to do what rendition= does; anything else is rend=), it does not
matter whether I call it rendMe=, wwp:rendMe=, or tei:rendMe= -- in
all cases it is algorithmically transformable to a TEI Conformant
document.