[tei-council] Revised AB

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 25 08:32:37 EDT 2007

Arianna Ciula wrote:
> My comments and spotted typos:
>
> - "They are addressed to anyone who works with any kind of textual
> resource in digital form." --> in the humanities? you stress this in
> other sections but not at the beginning; may be it isn't necessary in
> the first sentence, but around there at least.

Ooo, cue big debate.  I disagree that we "stress" this in other
sections: in fact there is only *one* place where it says that the scope
of the TEI is limited to the Humanities, and I wasn't too sure about
leaving that one. In its defence is the fact that the sentence is
talking about what the TEI currently does, rather than its potential
field of application. Whereas the first sentence is definitely about its
potential and goals. I would rather not limit these.

> - missing white space: "Text Encoding Initiative Consortium(TEI)"

ooops

> - divers --> diverse? - according to OED: "[...] Obs. in this form since
> c1700, and now expressed by DIVERSE"...I don't know though

It's my age showing through.

> - 'ill-defined' --> flexible? not entirely formally definable?
>
> - "the TEI scheme is designed to facilitate both customization — by
> reducing the scope of what markup is permitted in a given set of
> documents — and modification by addition of new non-TEI markup. The
> underlying mechanisms which support these aspects of the scheme are
> introduced in chapter 1 The TEI Infrastructure, and detailed discussions
> of their use provided in chapter 23 Using the TEI)." --> can something
> be added here on extensibility of the guidelines? you mention the
> community-based approach elsewhere, but I think it is important to state
> that what are today modifications done to TEI in local projects can
> concretely become TEI recommendations in the near future.

Good suggestion.  Have added this sentence:
" By providing a formally verifiable means of extending the TEI
recommendations, the TEI makes it simple for such user-identified
modifications to be incorporated into future releases of the
Guidelines as they evolve."

> - "with an interchange format requires only 2n such mappings are needed"
> --> take out 'requires'

fixed

> - "problems of text documentation , [..] and syntax issues ." --> take
> out two whitespace

fixed. (Note for Oxford readers: this sentence would be incomprehensible
without the Oxford commas)

> - "(AB-eg-02)" --> what's this?

a mistake mlud. fixed.

> - "Moreover, as far as possible, new minor releases will be made only
> for the purpose of adding new compatible features, or of correcting
> errors in existing features." --> can something be added about the
> documentation of these minor releases? where can people find what
> changes have been made in a summary?

err, I am not sure how we'd provide that information. Do you think
pointing to SourceForge is enough?